Work in Progress Wednesday – Dragon Scale Cape Continued…

I’m still plugging away at my Dragon Scale Cape. I haven’t been feeling all that great over the last week so I didn’t end up working much on it before the weekend hit. But for a little comparison here is the photo from last week followed by the current state of the cape.

Week 1: Dragon Scale Cape - UnfinishedWeek 2: Dragon Scale Cape - Unfinished

I added about a full skein which contains approximately 200 yards. And I believe I have three more skeins to add to the length and then another skein and a half to do the trim.

Even though I didn’t get to use it this Halloween, it’ll still be good for next year and might come in handy over the winter. Although this is South Central Texas so…

Work In Progress Wednesday – Dragon Scale Cape

So, I started out making the Crocodile Stitch Shawl, then I changed my mind, so now it’s going to be more of a triangle I can wear in my hair to keep it out of my face, like a handkerchief permanently folded in half. I will probably eventually try making the shawl again, but I realized that I needed to use a much lighter yarn, something more towards lace weight or fingering.

Instead, I’m jumping off the end of the dock and trying out my own thing. I’ve started at the bottom of the cape and I’ve set aside one and a half skeins to do a dragon scale trim along the edge once I finish the actual bulk of the cape.

dragonscalecapeI originally wanted to do the scales all the way up the whole cape, but realized that it was going to be way shorter than I wanted if I did that, so I followed the general pattern from the cowl and hood. So, as you can see I have some of the crocodile stitch along the bottom (7 rows total) and then several rows of straight double crochet done through the backloops after the initial row.

I’m not sure I’ll finish it in time for Halloween since I only have a few days left, but I’m going to try. It’s definitely not going to be a full length cape.  I’m hoping that it’ll come close to my waist at least, so it’ll be more of a capelet.

Dragon Scale Hood (aka Crocodile Stitch Hood)

I’m still working on felting my bowls. I’ve done one round of felting by hand, but they still haven’t felted enough. I’ll probably try a round in my washing machine to see how they come out. But over the weekend I started a new project and managed to finish it.

crocodilehoodAnd thus we have my Dragon Scale Hood (aka Crocodile Stitch Hood). It was a lot of fun to make and I decided to use a variegated yarn so that no two scales would look the same. The yarn I used is Lorna’s Laces in Black Purl.

This is a 100% superwash wool and it feels great. I just wish Texas was a little colder so that I could have more excuses to wear it. But I will be wearing it along with a shawl/cape that I’m making in the same stitch pattern for Halloween.

Both the Hood and the Shawl can be found in Crocodile Stitch Fashions. If you take a look at the pattern you may notice that I did two extra rows of scales on the hood portion and I added two extra rows (which isn’t very visible) to the back of the hood so that it would line up better with the cowl, which had more to do with my gauge coming out slightly smaller than what was called for on the rows.

Now I just need to find a staff to complete the outfit (and of course finish the cape).